September 23, 2007

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Let's Eat (Vegan) Wedding Cake

One of the first things I did when John and I started narrowing down dates to get married was to check and see if the Hippie Chick Bakery was available to make our wedding cake. Last week while in Boston, we drove up to Amesbury and met with the owner, Amy, to discuss the design of the cake and of course, do some tasting!! Sorry for my photos of half eaten cake, I was so excited about tasting, I forgot about pictures! Here is a run down of what we tried:

First up, a chocolate cake with vanilla "buttercream" frosting layered with fresh strawberries. Luckliy this was the biggest "test" cake in the box, I could have eaten an entire cake of this myself!


Next up a more sophisticated spice cake with ginger "buttercream" frosting. The ginger frosting was amazing.


And finally a carrot cake with vanilla "buttercream" frosting. I really didn't used to like carrot cake, but this was like a little slice of heaven.



Additionally, we also sampled a lemon cake and a marble cake with yummy chocolate frosting. We had wanted to taste a pumpkin cake, but since they aren't in season yet, we will have to do this by mail closer to the wedding date. The cakes were all unbelievably moist and tender, with thick, creamy, sugary frosting. Perfect. For the wedding we will have a three-tiered cake. The bottom will be the chocolate cake, the middle will be either the spice or pumpkin cake with ginger frosting, and the top is still being decided. We will be taking the top layer home to Houston, but probably not waiting till our first anniversary to eat it, that would just be torture! The design of the cake is not your typical white fondant topped wedding cake. I wanted something a little different but still classy, so we are using the wedding colors, two shades of green and orange for an accent. The cake will be similar in style to this one.


John was admittedly worried (as possibly many of you are that may be attending the wedding) that vegan cake wouldn't live up to non-vegan dessert counterparts (I don't know why since I bake him fabulous desserts all the time, all vegan!). Vegan baking is actually relatively easy. The most crucial piece is usually the egg replacer, something to bind the baked good. Check out this link on some trustworthy replacements. If you want to try it out for yourself, here's a really easy recipe for a super moist chocolate cake and a delicious coconut pecan frosting to top it off. You won't notice the difference, I promise!!

Not sure about you, but I can't wait to taste the cake on our wedding day! I just might have to have a piece of each flavor!

1 comment:

Sheree' said...

Wow! If your cake looks like the one that you say is similar to your cake is going to be so beautiful! I am so happy for you and John.